US Water Alliance
Founded in 2008, the nationally recognized US Water Alliance (the Alliance) advances policies and programs that build a sustainable water future for all. Our members and partners include water utilities, public officials, community leaders, environmental organizations, business leaders, agricultural interests, policy organizations, and more. Our work brings these diverse interests together to identify and advance common-ground, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. The US Water Alliance is the hub of the One Water movement in America—an approach to resource stewardship that is innovative, inclusive, and integrated. Our mission is to:
- Educate the nation about the true value of water and the need for investment in water systems. Our innovative approaches to building public and political will, best-in-class communications tools, high-impact events, media coverage, and publications are educating and inspiring the nation about how water is essential and in need of investment.
- Accelerate the adoption of policies and programs that effectively manage water resources and advance a better quality of life for all. Our strategic initiatives and our One Water Hub offer high-quality opportunities for knowledge building and peer exchange. As an honest broker and action catalyst, we develop forward-looking and inclusive water policies and programs, and build coalitions that are changing water management strategies for decades to come.
- Celebrate what works in innovative water management. We shine a light on groundbreaking work through storytelling, analysis of successful approaches, and special recognition programs that demonstrate how water leaders are building stronger communities and a stronger America.
The Alliance has offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. For more information, please visit our website at: www.uswateralliance.org
The Vice President, Programs & Strategy, is a new and exciting senior leadership position that will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all the Alliance’s programs. As a thought partner to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Vice President, Programs & Strategy will shape and scale the Alliance’s programs to expand the organization’s national impact and build the field of sustainable water management. This role will closely partner with the current talented team of program staff, consultants, and external partners to advance an ambitious program portfolio that covers diverse issues including, smart utility management, equitable water management, agriculture, climate resilience, water infrastructure investment, arts and culture, and more.
The Vice President, Programs & Strategy will serve as part of the Alliance’s leadership team, alongside the CEO and Vice President, Finance & Operations, and collaboratively guide all aspects of the organization. The successful candidate will be a demonstrated leader in the field of water, the environment, sustainability and/or infrastructure, with a strong track record of executive leadership, programmatic strategy and management, staff management and coaching, stakeholder management, and fundraising. This position will report to the CEO.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Create a focused, collaborative, entrepreneurial, sustainable, and impact-focused strategy to drive and scale the Alliance’s program portfolio.
- Ensure high-quality execution of all program deliverables consistent with the Alliance’s vision, organizational values, and brand.
- Cultivate cohesion and foster synergies among the Alliance’s programs, including maintaining a high level of communication and collaboration across program staff and consultants.
- Serve as a thought partner to the CEO and the Vice President, Finance & Operations in shaping the organization’s vision and trajectory.
- Effectively communicate program achievements, progress, challenges, and opportunities to stakeholders, board members, senior leadership, and other internal and external audiences.
External Relations and Partnerships
- Collaborate with the CEO to develop and execute a diversified fundraising action plan to secure a robust pipeline of funders and members; contribute to proposal development and reporting.
- Cultivate relationships with Alliance members, external partners, and to identify areas for program growth and support the generation of revenue for the organization.
- Identify and implement partnerships with Alliance members, philanthropic partners, the environmental community, community based organizations, influential academic institutions, and other stakeholders to achieve key programmatic goals.
- Serve as national spokesperson on One Water management and the Alliance’s programs; represent the organization externally, making public presentations and building relationships with the media, elected officials, and government agency representatives.
- Actively engage with staff to create stronger collaboration between and across programs and identify cross-cutting funding opportunities.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support for program staff and consultants.
- Promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters high quality work, cooperation, communication, collaboration, teamwork, trust, and embraces diversity.
- Hire, train, supervise, mentor, and provide staff with professional development activities that upgrade skills, support learning, motivate performance, and promote retention.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required; advanced degree preferred.
- 16+ years of substantive, relevant work experience, including experience leading and implementing high profile projects in water, sustainability, and/or infrastructure; a minimum of 8 years in a management role.
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing, and/or scaling, a performance- and outcome-based strategic vision.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills with proven ability to attract a wide range of partners including, foundations, coalitions, trade associations, corporate sponsors, government agencies, and community stakeholders by communicating a compelling and inspired sense of vision and purpose.
- Strong reputation and network in the water sector is desirable.
- Team-building skills and a collaborative leadership style with the ability to empower and inspire staff and encourage staff development.
- Excellent communication skills and experience developing high-quality communication tools aligned with the organizational mission and values.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining effective relationships with relevant outside stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Excellent multi-tasking, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Willingness and ability to engage in regular domestic travel.
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with a demonstrated alignment with, and passion, for the Alliance’s mission, vision, and values.
Compensation and Location
US Water Alliance offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position is based in the Alliance’s headquarters office in downtown Oakland, CA office. Regular travel to the Alliance’s Washington, DC office, partner meetings, and presentations is expected.
CEA Recruiting is assisting the US Water Alliance with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates should click "Apply to this Job" to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting at email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled.
US Water Alliance is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.
Related job openings
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our ... see more