We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. In this role, we have worked with over 100 countries. From advancing the off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs.
We’re mission-driven, impacts-focused, and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, and collaboration. We are headquartered in Washington, D.C. and have a strong and growing presence in our Nairobi office. This dynamic team manages and supports our East Africa and Global Programs. See our Team Page to learn more about our organization.
- Communicating Research and Producing Publications: Over the next three years, CLASP will produce a significant body of market, technical, and policy research. The successful candidate will support our research team in drafting, packaging, and messaging their reports for specific audiences through newsletters, website stories or blogs, and presentations. The Associate will collaborate closely across the communications team to ensure that relevant research is shared and publicized with the media and international partners and through social media, as is appropriate and in line with organizational priorities.
- Building Internal Capacity on Communications Activities: The Associate will build internal capacity to convey technical information to international stakeholders by partnering closely with team members and ensuring that all materials shared are within expectations for quality and tone. The Associate will proactively identify opportunities for strengthening internal communications in the Nairobi office and will serve as a responsive and insightful resource on communications issues for team members.
- Proposal Development and Donor Reporting: At CLASP, we fundraise so that we can lead a dynamic research agenda to support our cutting-edge work, ensuring that our programs have meaningful impact. We are committed to and believe in the work that we are doing, so we fundraise a lot, and everyone is involved. The Associate will have an important role to play in helping us to do this more effectively. The successful candidate will have a strong attention to detail to help us generate quality reports.
- Stories and Case Studies: From coming up with new ways to monitor the energy use of individual appliances to launching clean cookstove projects in Uganda, CLASP is working on cutting edge projects, and we want people to know about it. Our teams require support with turning technical information into compelling stories through writing articles and case studies for a variety of audiences, including the CLASP Board, donors, international agencies, policymakers, and partner organizations.
- Natural Collaborator and Relationship Builder: The successful candidate must be able to develop strong relationships with a wide variety of professionals. We collaborate often with graphic designers, copy editors, photo editors, other communications and fundraising consultants, policymakers, and CLASP’s program teams to ensure quality, accurate, and timely knowledge exchange. The Associate will contribute to our productive partnerships both inside and outside of the organization.
- Business-to-Business Communications: CLASP facilitates business-to-business communications as part of its core work. We tell people about what we do through newsletters, presentations, and other written correspondence. The successful candidate will evaluate and revise materials to ensure quality and accuracy and support communications with a range of international stakeholders.
- Digital Media: CLASP’s communication strategy emphasizes communicating with stakeholders in digital format. The successful candidate will have fluency in and be able to lead work using InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, and related programs to create graphics, reports, and factsheets to support CLASP’s work.
- Minimum 1-2 years’ previous communications experience and/or a relevant tertiary qualification
- Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree in a relevant field preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing in a variety of formats — web, print publications, briefing papers, digital media, and social media all a plus
- Proven ability in being able to take complex ideas and turn them into compelling stories
- Some experience with scientific research and comfort engaging with technical language
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Experience sharing communications expertise internally and supporting other staff members with communications efforts
- Must be comfortable working under pressure and have the ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills are crucial
- Experience in working to serve a broad range of clients and stakeholders
- Some experience in working on funding proposals would be an asset, although this is not mandatory
- Experience communicating about energy, clean energy access, off-grid energy systems, international development, policy, relevant industry association, or technology. You aren’t intimidated by technical material.
- A drive to learn and grow on the job
Related job openings
About the Organization CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every ... see more
California Environmental Associates (CEA) is a boutique environmental consultancy based in San Francisco, CA. Since 1984, CEA has helped transform ... see more