Sequoia Climate Fund
Sequoia Climate Fund is a new philanthropy that seeks to decarbonize the world economy at a speed and scale equal to the challenge. We support bold strategies and efforts that will have both near-term impact and the greatest probability of long-term success. We believe that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large?scale change. Our focus areas include power, transportation, buildings, industry, land use, agriculture and forestry, finance, communications, movement building and public engagement. Sequoia Climate Fund is active in major emitting geographies, including China, the United States, India, the European Union, among others. We are dedicated to building the political will and powerful coalitions needed to achieve these bold policy solutions. Our office and staff are based in Irvine, California.
About the Role
China and the Southeast Asia region are undergoing rapid development while decoupling carbon emission with economic growth and are at the frontier of the global challenge of climate change. Sequoia Climate Fund is expanding our capacities to support police makers, scientists, NGOs, and citizens to accelerate the energy transition in this region.
We are actively seeking collaborative, bold, and innovative thinkers that can help us identify and evaluate ambitious climate strategies capable of driving transformative change in the world. The successful candidate will work with peer networks, government officials, thought leaders, and key stakeholders to assess emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities in the field. They will work with one or more Sequoia Program Directors to both develop and execute strategies responsive to those insights, compiling the research and evidence necessary to assess their potential impact and chances for success, and identifying the organizations best positioned to execute them. This is a great opportunity for a passionate individual with strong initiative towards contributing to a net zero carbon future. The role will provide the Program Officer with the opportunity to make a global impact while contributing to adoption of climate mitigation policies in high emitting countries. As Sequoia Climate Fund is a new, growing organization, this is a dynamic and fluid role. Key responsibilities are likely to include, but are not limited to, the following:
Program development, delivery, and performance
- Support Sequoia’s efforts to determine strategic priorities and set operational plans by conducting research and analysis on specific programs and climate sector trends.
- Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities for driving ambitious climate action.
- Engage peer networks, funders, government officials, and other stakeholders to help develop strategies and identify organizations best positioned to execute those strategies.
- Present the results of global and regional strategic analysis verbally and in writing, through memos, background papers, presentations, graphs, and charts both internally and externally as required.
- Support all aspects of strategy execution and grant-making, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information, soliciting, developing funding proposals, and preparing grant recommendations.
- Serve as the point of contact for select grantees to learn from and steward the relationship, conduct site visits as needed, and monitor the impact of grants.
Financial stewardship and administrative responsibilities
- Support the maintenance of annual administrative budgets for programmatic expenses.
- Support the forecasting of grant payments and serve as a compliance checkpoint to ensure grantmaking stays within yearly budgets.
- Maintain grants database, budget spreadsheets and grant calendars, and coordinate grant processes for the team.
- Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested.
- Minimum five to seven years’ experience working in climate change or a related field, with at least three years of dedicated experience in at least one specific area within climate mitigation.
- Experience working in China, Korea, Japan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or Southeast Asia required.
- Proficiency in Chinese or one of the languages spoken in the above countries, other than English, highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and grantees of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Three plus years’ experience in working with quantitative information and data, such as economic, financial and/or climate model and tools.
- Willingness to learn, take initiative, be resourceful, and flexible.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively.
- A mentality that no task is too small or big, to get what is needed done.
- Team-oriented with an ability to work in a cross-cultural team environment.
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
- Excellent English language writing, synthesizing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Understanding and embodiment of Sequoia Climate Fund values, including humility and teamwork.
- Willingness to work in our Irvine, CA office.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, or equivalent by experience.
- Understanding of grantmaking.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about how to drive ambitious climate action.
- Thrives in an atmosphere where intellectual debates are encouraged and is passionate about using analytical tools as a decision-making tool to drive strategy.
Sequoia Climate Fund’s Institutional Culture of Respect, Diversity, and Inclusion
Sequoia Climate Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcome such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity, and inclusion that we seek to amplify in the larger world.
Sequoia Climate Fund hires, promotes, and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by Sequoia’s service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law, e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.
Covid-19 Hiring Update
We have temporarily transitioned to a work-from-home model, and this role is expected to begin as a remote position. To ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, we will continue to monitor the situation and follow the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as local advisories from the California Department of Public Health and the Orange County Health Care Agency. Once circumstances allow, staff will be required to work full-time from our office in Irvine, California. We are flexible and willing to discuss the logistics and financial considerations raised by relocation, if needed.
Compensation & Location
Sequoia Climate Fund offers a generous benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Our benefits include payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Sequoia Climate Fund also offers other benefits including life insurance, long-term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment or college savings assistance for qualified dependents and is committed to providing transgender-inclusive healthcare.
NOTE: Sponsorship considerations for this position will be determined on a case-by-case basis
CEA Recruiting is assisting Sequoia Climate Fund with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates should follow the link below to submit the following: (1) resume, (2) cover letter (3) and salary requirements (specifying salary amount or range) through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled.
Sequoia Climate Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.