Global Fishing Watch (GFW) is an international, non-profit organization committed to advancing ocean governance through increased transparency. We create and publicly share knowledge about human activity at sea to enable fair and sustainable use of our ocean.
Founded in 2015 through a collaboration between Oceana, SkyTruth, and Google, GFW became an independent non-profit organization in June 2017. Using cutting edge technology, we create and publicly share map visualizations, data, and analysis tools to enable scientific research and drive a transformation in how we manage our ocean. Our major focus is on commercial fishing because it is the most widespread human activity at sea, the most impactful on ocean health, and the most crucial for global livelihoods and food security. By 2030, we aim to monitor and visualize the impact of ocean-going vessels, both industrial and small-scale, that are responsible for the vast majority of the global seafood catch.
We believe human activity at sea should be common knowledge in order to safeguard the global ocean commons for the common good of all.
For more information, please visit us at: https://globalfishingwatch.org/
GFW seeks a dynamic Finance Manager to lead and foster all aspects of finance and accounting operations, and grant reporting and compliance, while ensuring that the organization remains nimble, flexible, and effective as we scale.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and working closely with the executive team, and program staff, the Finance Manager will be an important part of the operations management team. The Finance Manager will manage a contract accountant (CPA) and will oversee the relationship with GFW’s Professional Employer Organization (PEO) for payroll and benefits administration.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills and have a proven track record of success leading the finance function of a complex international non-profit. This is a challenging role, requiring demonstrated experience and a successful track record in similar roles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Budgeting, Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Prepare annual, quarterly, monthly financial reporting and budget-to-actual, and cash flow forecasts to provide senior management and the board of directors with current intelligence regarding the organization’s financial status and make presentations, as required.
- Drive the timely planning, creation, and refinement of the annual organizational budget for approval by the board of directors.
- Complete financial analyses regarding new funding opportunities, operating reserves, and other analyses as needed.
Accounting, Internal Controls and Cost Management
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, banking and deposits, collections, fixed assets records, general ledger accounting.
- Lead the annual financial statement audit and preparation of international, U.S. federal, state tax and other compliance reporting.
- Manage banking relationships and implement cash management strategies.
- Implement policies and procedures including travel, procurement, credit cards, time tracking, expenditure authorization, and revise and update as the organization scales.
- Identify potential organization risks and oversee insurance and risk management programs weighing benefits and costs.
- Investigate, recommend, and implement cost-savings opportunities.
- Evaluate and install new accounting, time-keeping, and reporting systems as required.
Grant Financial Management and Reporting
- In coordination with the Grants Manager, prepare contract and grant budgets, track contract and grant spending, complete interim and final contract and grant financial reporting.
- Build and maintain systems, processes and procedures for tracking grants and restricted funding associated with specific projects and programs including invoicing, monitoring receivables, tracking project expenses, allocating overhead, and reporting on remaining balances.
- Develop staff tracking and overhead methodology.
- Interface with the development team to reconcile and track income, grants, donor accounts, grant reports, contract payments, etc.
- Perform financial and compliance due diligence for subgrantees and subcontractors. Prepare and manage subaward budgets and expenses to ensure funder and regulatory compliance.
- Monitor grant regulations and funder financial requirements and update staff to ensure compliance throughout the organization.
Payroll and Benefits Administration
- Oversee the relationship with GFW PEO who runs payroll and manages benefit programs.
- Review and approve payroll journals including salary, payroll tax and benefit allocations, changes, new hires and exits.
- Confirm accuracy of employee accrued vacation, sick, and other leave time.
- Maintain and enhance procedures for employee, benefits, policies, and payroll files.
- Answer employee inquiries about payroll and benefits.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years managing finance & accounting operations in the not-for-profit sector with knowledge of accounting for restricted grants
- Experience creating and managing grant and program budgets and preparing funder and program financial reports
- Competence generating financial reports, data visualizations and communicating financial information to staff and board members
- Well-versed in not-for-profit US GAAP and IRS requirements of preparation of financial statement and Form 990
- Proficient with spreadsheets including pivot tables and financial functions
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent experience
- Skilled at developing and implementing improvements to an organization’s financial policies and procedures that can scale, including travel, procurement, credit cards, time tracking, and expenditure authorization
- Comfortable working with an internationally dispersed team and ability to work productively with others, including in team environments and across multiple locations, cultures, and time zones
The following personal attributes are desired:
- Deep commitment to the values and mission of Global Fishing Watch
- Promotes working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and geographies
- Track record of effective and clear communication to all levels within an organization
- Personable, flexible, tenacious, diplomatic, and respectful demeanor
- Proven ability to serve as a team player and leader to motivate and inspire staff and colleagues
- High energy level, impeccable integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, and a sense of humor
Compensation and Logistics
Salary or Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. GFW offers pension/retirement, health, and other benefits.
Working Hours/Location: GFW has a globally distributed workforce and supports flexible working, so the pattern of hours will vary according to operational needs and balanced with personal circumstances. This role is based in the US and we have a preference for it to be located in the EST or CST time zones.
Equal Opportunities: GFW is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of skills, experiences, and ideas. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class. Commitment to this process is expected.
Travel: Periodic domestic and international travel may be required to meet with team members and for workshops. No overtime is payable.
CEA Recruiting is assisting Global Fishing Watch in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for a position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through GFW’s career portal. Please direct all inquiries to CEA Recruiting at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies.