Energy Innovation is a clean energy and environmental policy firm established in 2012. We provide timely research and analysis on low-carbon energy strategies to policy makers, thought leaders, and members of the media. Our team has expertise in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable urban development, technological innovation, air pollution, and energy policy design, including jobs, health, and economic impacts.
We focus our efforts in areas where policy solutions can have a serious impact on carbon emissions and the design of policies to maximize equity benefits. To do this, we synthesize the best available research and perform original quantitative analysis on policies and technologies. Our current project list includes:
· Accelerating the transition of the electric sector to 100% clean energy by 2035 or sooner;
· Electrifying the transportation, buildings, and industrial sectors as fast and as equitably as possible;
· Development of a suite of policies for China, designed to drive an early peak, then rapid decline, in carbon emissions; and,
· Modeling rapid decarbonization pathways for US States and the largest emitting countries, including China, USA, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, and Saudi Arabia.
We are a mission-driven organization that has the entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up, the ambition of a non-profit, the freedom of an independent think-tank, and the professionalism of a top-notch consultancy. Learn more about us here.
About the Role
Energy Innovation is seeking an Executive Director of Strategy and Research to lead our work to define policies, markets, and business models that can accelerate the adoption of clean energy in the United States and abroad. Reporting to the CEO, the Executive Director will manage our research team of a dozen professionals covering a range issues related to the utility, buildings, transportation, and industry sectors. The research agenda includes wholesale power market structures, utility business models, grid operations, industrial decarbonization strategies, pathways to large-scale electrification of transport and buildings, energy modelling, national and state energy policy, and quantification of policy impact.
This is a multi-faceted role and will include the following responsibilities:
- Understand and articulate the mission of Energy Innovation and the importance of each program.
- Manage a team of six program directors and external consultants/researchers.
- Serve as a thought partner to program directors as they lead projects through all stages of the research process, including research scoping, methodology development, data analysis, and synthesis.
- Work closely with program staff and senior leadership on the development of new proposals and reports, including providing direction on content and prioritization, writing narrative, and creating budgets.
- Build and maintain a network of leaders across the energy policy landscape that will serve as thought partners, collaborators, and reviewers.
- Design and manage research projects, providing coordination among Energy Innovation staff, external researchers, and key client stakeholders.
- Oversee the development of quantitative and analytical reports and research products.
- Serve on the Senior Leadership team and collaborate in developing the strategy for the organization, its research agenda, and work plans for research projects.
- Collaborate with Directors and Executives across the company to ensure the projects are in line with the values, expectations, and mission of Energy Innovation.
- Cull projects that need it, and bolster those that offer greater outcomes.
- Stay current on developments in energy technology and policy design.
The successful candidate will have the strategic mindset, sectoral insight, and personal discipline to help direct the research team’s activities and resources toward the most impactful initiatives. They are a seasoned manager, ensuring that the team is properly motivated, fully supported, and productive. They have a keen sense of how to focus and translate energy and technology research to support the work and mission of Energy Innovation, its partners, and clientele.
- Master’s degree in energy- or environment-related field (quantitative background preferred; economics, engineering, public policy coursework helpful)
- Experience guiding overall strategy for national or, ideally, international organizations
- Understanding of energy modeling; ability to detect patterns and interpret data in the context of large-scale energy systems
- Solid quantitative skills; experience guiding a team (internal and external) to conduct modeling and other analytical work
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills demonstrated track record of building and leading high performance teams
- Demonstrated experience in nurturing a vibrant and collaborative team culture
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Experience working in service to a broad range of clients and/or stakeholders
- Proactive and decisive, even in high stress situations
- Expert in organizational and time management strategies
- Willingness to travel domestically and overseas (when it is safe to do so)
- Passion for clean energy, climate issues, and social equity
Compensation & Location
Energy Innovation provides a competitive compensation package, including a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. This position will be based in San Francisco. Post COVID-19 restrictions, domestic and international travel will be required for this role.
We actively welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills to fulfill this role.
CEA Recruiting is assisting Energy Innovation with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates should follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled.
Energy Innovation is an equal opportunity employer that proactively seeks a diverse staff with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition. Energy Innovation believes a diversity of background and experience makes the firm more effective.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com