Golden Gate Audubon Society
Golden Gate Audubon Society’s (GGAS) mission is to engage people to experience the wonder of birds and to translate that wonder into actions that protect native bird populations and their habitats. Having recently celebrated its Centennial year and adopted a 3-year Strategic Plan (2020-2023), GGAS is poised to have an even greater impact in the years and decades ahead. GGAS operates with a small staff, an active Board of Directors (Board), a large community of committed volunteers and is committed to the principles of equity and inclusion. GGAS is an independent chapter of the National Audubon Society. To learn more about us, please visit https://goldengateaudubon.org/.
About the Role
GGAS is seeking an engaged, mission-oriented Executive Director to work in collaboration with the Board, its small, talented staff, and volunteers to manage, nurture, and grow its programs designed to support a community of Bay Area conservationists and bird enthusiasts of all ages and backgrounds. The Executive Director will report to the Board. With the overall task of leading the organization into its next chapter of operational success, the specific areas of responsibility include:
Leading Programs and Operations
Supporting the Board of Directors in Organizational Governance
Leading Fundraising Efforts and Providing Fiscal Oversight
- In collaboration with the Development Director, create then lead a strategy to sustain a diverse funding base that will grow GGAS’s revenue from its current $600,000+ level.
Managing Staff and Volunteers
Serving as Primary Organizational Spokesperson
- With the Communications Director, develop and then execute a communications strategy to maximize GGAS’s impact in pursuit of its goals.
- Serve as chief spokesperson to the media and the public.
Engaging the Community and Supporting Conservation Advocacy
- Promote engagement by all community sectors in the full range of GGAS activities.
You do not need to be an expert birder or have experience in a conservation-oriented organization, but we are looking for these essential skills and abilities:
- Passion for birds, wildlife, and our natural environment
- 5+ years of substantive, relevant work experience, with 2+ years in a senior managerial role; prior nonprofit experience preferred
- Demonstrated success in securing funding for and scaling up an organization or a business/program function
- Significant board development, fundraising, and fiscal management experience
- Record of sound financial management in developing, presenting, and executing an annual budget
- Proven ability to serve as a team player and leader to motivate and inspire staff and colleagues
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree or equivalent professional experience desirable
Familiarity (or proficiency) in the following areas would be a plus:
We are a collaborative and enthusiastic group and are seeking a leader who has:
- Comfort in engaging with individuals from diverse backgrounds and locations
- A personable, flexible, tenacious, diplomatic, and respectful demeanor
- A high energy level, impeccable integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, and a sense of humor
- An ability to manage your time, keep focused on the big issues, and delegate appropriately
- A willingness to ask for and accept help when needed
Compensation and Location
GGAS offers an excellent benefits package and a base salary range of $100,000–$120,000. The desired location for this role (post COVID pandemic), is Berkeley, California. Limited telecommuting may be considered.
CEA Recruiting is assisting GGAS with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates should click "Apply to this Job" to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled.
Golden Gate Audubon Society is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies.