Global Fishing Watch
Global Fishing Watch (“GFW”) is an international, non-profit organization committed to advancing ocean governance through increased transparency. We create and publicly share knowledge about human activity at sea to enable fair and sustainable use of our ocean. Founded in 2015 through a collaboration between Oceana, SkyTruth, and Google, GFW became an independent, international nonprofit organization in June 2017. Using cutting-edge technology, we create and publicly share map visualizations, data, and analysis tools to enable scientific research and drive a transformation in how we manage our ocean.
Our major focus is on commercial fishing because it is the most widespread human activity at sea, the most impactful on ocean health, and the most crucial for global livelihoods and food security. By 2030, we aim to monitor and visualize the impact of ocean-going vessels, both industrial and small-scale, that are responsible for the vast majority of the global seafood catch. We believe human activity at sea should be common knowledge to safeguard the global ocean commons for the common good of all.
The Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships (“DPP”) will play a vital leadership role in ensuring Global Fishing Watch has the resources to deliver on our mission. Reporting to the Senior Director, Communications and Partnerships, and working closely with the executive leadership team, the DPP will be responsible for developing and executing our holistic fundraising strategy.
Qualified candidates will have significant experience in relationship management, cultivating opportunities, and new business development. Additionally, this role requires exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to inspire others about our work. The successful candidate will have the confidence needed to win support from decision-makers at the highest levels, forge new relationships and will thrive on enhancing our current partnerships.
The DPP will have leadership experience in a fundraising or grant-writing environment. An understanding of how to prepare financial information, prioritize, plan strategically and make evidence-based decisions will be essential. Qualified candidates will be resilient, flexible, and able to identify and harness new strategic opportunities and partnerships.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and drive an ambitious, multi-year strategy to maintain and create growth in unrestricted, flexible and program funding for GFW, drawing on globally dispersed projects and teams
- Identify, evaluate, research, and cultivate high-potential prospects, including private, public, and family foundations, trusts, and bilateral and multilateral donors
- Manage relationships with prospective donors, involving executive leadership and providing coordination and counsel as needed
- Facilitate and coordinate communication with prospective donors, developing positive relationships between GFW, the prospective donors and related organizations and individuals
- Conceive, organize, manage, and participate in regular events and meetings for prospective and current donors
- Advise and coach the GFW team to successfully contribute to fundraising efforts
- Develop, oversee, and refine the strategy for, and creation of, written communications and proposals, appropriate to a donor’s particular interests, ensuring high quality content and products for donor acquisition and stewardship
- Support and contribute to the Chief Operating Officer’s resource development prospect pipeline to provide accurate revenue projections and utilize data to drive analysis and forecasting
- Work with the Grants and Business Affairs Director and Grant Manager to contribute to grant reporting requirements as needed
- Convey persuasively the mission of GFW to diverse groups, including major donors, corporate executives, board members, and others
- Exercise discretion handling confidential information
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a relevant field and at least 8 years of relevant experience
- Thorough understanding of philanthropic methodology, including prospect research, proposal preparation and the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of high-level relationships
- Proven track record of securing and cultivating major gifts in excess of $500,000 USD from foundations, trusts, major donors and institutions
- Excellent knowledge of business modeling and revenue planning, including long-term projections, income target setting and monitoring
- Exceptional oral and written communications abilities in English, including a facility for translating complex information for a broad range of audiences, including high-level individuals in a multinational environment
- Excellent grant and report writing skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Proven success in leading proposal writing and achieving strategic alignment with a mission across stakeholders in a proposal
- Demonstrated experience in gauging organizational capacity to implement and successfully achieve donor deliverables and desired impacts
- Highly sophisticated and enthusiastic relationship- and network-builder that is diplomatic, analytical, trustworthy with personal and professional integrity
- Demonstrated ability to develop and move projects forward with a high degree of independence and autonomy
- Fluency in languages other than English (particularly Spanish or French)
- Specific experience in ocean sustainability and protection
- Experience writing grant proposals for government and public funders
- Strategic: able to evaluate issues and make decisions in the short, medium, and long term
- Nuanced: able to understand the needs and motivations of individuals, government agencies and international institutions
- Good judgement: able to make and justify recommendations
- Positive and ambitious: able to find solutions independently and creatively
- Collaborative: brings people together to leverage their skills, talents, and knowledge to achieve a common purpose. Creates synergy resulting in a combined effort with greater results than what can be achieved by individuals
- Experienced working in an international context and with people from different backgrounds, styles, and cultures
- Autonomous, proactive, and results-focused
- Comfortable with remote work
Responsible to: Senior Director, Communications and Partnerships
Location: Remote working, with a preference for US east coast and Europe time zones
Salary: Commensurate with experience. GFW offers pension/retirement, health, and other benefits commensurate with similar level GFW employees in the country of employment.
Working Hours: Global Fishing Watch supports flexible working, so the pattern of hours may vary according to operational and personal needs. Global Fishing Watch works across different time zones and weekend work may be required on occasion. The post holder will be required to undertake periodic domestic and international travel. No overtime is payable.
Holiday: Paid holiday/vacation commensurate with other, similar-level Global Fishing Watch employees in the country of employment.
Equal opportunities: Global Fishing Watch is an equal opportunities employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that our mission is best advanced when welcoming the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of Global Fishing Watch and our partners, vendors, suppliers and contractors.
CEA Recruiting is assisting Global Fishing Watch in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for a position, interested candidates must follow the link to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. Please direct all inquiries to Tamara Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org). Cover letters may be addressed to Marine Laurent, COO. This position will remain open until filled, but interested candidates are encouraged to apply before 11.22.21.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies.