Deputy Director (closed)
International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT)
This job opening is no longer accepting applications.
The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) is an independent nonprofit organization founded to provide first-rate, unbiased research and technical and scientific analysis to top government officials across the world. Its mission is to improve the environmental performance and energy efficiency of road, marine, and air transportation, in order to benefit public health and mitigate climate change. Founded in 2001, ICCT is headquartered in Washington DC, has offices in San Francisco, Beijing, and Berlin and has more than fifty employees working worldwide. Learn more about us at www.theicct.org.
The Deputy Director will serve as a close partner to and collaborator with the Executive Director in the development and implementation of the organization’s strategies, plans and policies, and will provide leadership and direction to the staff. The Deputy Director will also partner with the COO to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization by providing leadership across development, communications, operations, programs, human resources, and finance. Depending on the experience and expertise of the particular candidate, the position will also provide strategic engagement on particular programs or regions and will represent ICCT internally and externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated willingness to serve the organization with the highest levels of commitment and dedication, in a highly demanding position that will require consistent excellence across multiple areas of the organization. The Deputy Director will serve as a member of ICCT’s executive management team and manage staff in operations and programs, including the COO and three Program leads. The Deputy Director will report to the Executive Director.
- Assume full delegated authority to act on behalf of the Executive Director in absentia.
- Provide leadership and direction for operations and technical staff; set an effective agenda to ensure performance goals are set and met.
- Maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility; participate in the preparation of the annual budget.
- Assist in the preparation for board meetings and annual staff and director retreats, including development of presentations and materials.
- Support the development of high-performing culture and a team-based environment to inspire and motivate staff.
- Foster communication between operations and program staff to enable collaboration and efficient use of resources.
- Serve as a mentor, coach and guide to senior staff, particularly with regard to the accomplishment of professional objectives.
- Represent the organization to the public, key stakeholders and partners.
- Provide leadership for fundraising and donor management, project development and partnership activities.
- Oversee that staffing plans are adequate to meet ICCT’s goals and objectives and participate in the hiring decisions of new program staff.
- Provide guidance for program activities including outreach, coordination and partnership development, as well as communications, public relations and issues management activities.
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
The Ideal Candidate
- 10+ years’ leadership experience in the public or private sector in one or more of the following areas: operations, development, program management and/or human resources; direct experience as a Chief Operating Officers and/or Deputy Director preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of helpful collaboration, professional integrity, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to effectively manage a global organization of highly-educated, multi-cultural staff; proficiency in another language, particularly German, Mandarin, or Spanish is preferred.
- Track record of self-direction and taking initiative to identify and address problems in a successful, collaborative manner.
- High proficiency in writing, verbal communications, quantitative analysis and other communications.
- Possess a high energy level and intellectual capacity to juggle multiple routine and important tasks, handle multiple meetings (internal and external), and speaking engagements in a single day.
Compensation and Location
This position is based in our Washington, DC office with some domestic and international travel. We offer a mission-driven, egalitarian, culturally diverse workplace where intelligence, flexibility, transparency, and good humor are highly valued. ICCT offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience, plus an excellent benefits package, including group health, a 401(k) with a 7% contribution, transportation subsidy, and other benefits.
CEA Recruiting is assisting ICCT in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for the position, interested candidates must click "Apply to this Job" to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, contact information of three professional references and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. The writing sample should demonstrate an outstanding ability to communicate effectively in writing. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting (email@example.com). This position will remain open until filled.
ICCT is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status