This job opening is no longer accepting applications.
About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. In this role, we have worked with over 100 countries. From advancing the off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs.
Since 2001, CLASP has supported the government of India and India’s Bureau of Energy Efficiency, to build, strengthen, and accelerate India’s appliance energy efficiency policies. Our support is core to national efforts to conserve energy in India. Learn more about our India program.
CLASP is seeking a creative, poised, and detail-oriented professional to support communications efforts at CLASP’s New Delhi office. The Associate will turn complex ideas into engaging stories, work closely with both the existing communications team in Washington D.C. and India staff to prepare and communicate CLASP’s policy and analysis work in India to relevant funders and stakeholders, and be committed to the ideals of CLASP.
CLASP is a fast-paced, international, and highly-collegial work environment. The successful candidate will understand and move between the small details and the big picture with skill, adapt to evolving priorities, and bring well-honed listening and interpersonal skills.
The Communications Associate will contribute their skills to a number of key projects. These might include the following:
- Conducting and communicating Research: Over the next three years, CLASP will produce a significant body of market, technical, and policy research. The successful candidate will support our research team in conducting research as well as drafting, packaging, and messaging their reports for specific audiences through newsletters, website stories or blogs, and presentations. The Associate will collaborate closely across the communications team to ensure that relevant research is shared and publicized with the media and international partners and through social media, as is appropriate and in line with organizational priorities.
- Digital Media: CLASP’s communication strategy emphasizes communicating with stakeholders in digital format. The successful candidate will have fluency in and be able to lead work using Twitter and Instagram to publicize CLASP’s work and engage stakeholders via social media. Fluency in InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, and related programs to create graphics, reports, and factsheets to support CLASP’s work is also desired.
- Proposal Development and Donor Reporting: At CLASP, we fundraise so that we can lead a dynamic research agenda to support our cutting-edge work, ensuring that our programs have meaningful impact. We are committed to and believe in the work that we are doing, so we fundraise a lot, and everyone is involved. The Associate will have an important role to play in helping us to do this more effectively. The successful candidate will have a strong attention to detail to help us generate quality reports.
- Stories and Case Studies: From supporting the first energy efficiency policy for cooling systems to tracking appliance ownership and energy use, CLASP is working on cutting edge projects, and we want people to know about it. Our teams require support with turning technical information into compelling stories through writing articles and case studies for a variety of audiences, including the CLASP Board, donors, international agencies, policymakers, and partner organizations.
- Enhancing Internal Capacity on Communications Activities: The Associate will proactively identify opportunities for strengthening both external and internal communications in the India office and will serve as a responsive and insightful resource on communications issues for team members.
- Sector Communications: CLASP facilitates sector communications as part of its core work. We tell people about what we do through newsletters, presentations, and other written correspondence. The successful candidate will evaluate and revise materials to ensure quality and accuracy and support communications with a range of international stakeholders.
- Natural Collaborator and Relationship Builder: The successful candidate must be able to develop strong relationships with a wide variety of professionals. We collaborate often with graphic designers, copy editors, photo editors, other communications and fundraising consultants, policymakers, and CLASP’s program teams to ensure quality, accurate, and timely knowledge exchange. The Associate will contribute to our productive partnerships both inside and outside of the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 2-4 years’ previous communications experience and/or a relevant tertiary qualification
- Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree in a relevant field preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing in a variety of formats — web, print publications, briefing papers, digital media, and social media all a plus
- Demonstrated ability to engage on social media about subject matter
- Experience developing data visualization and infographics
- Proven ability in being able to take complex ideas and turn them into compelling stories
- Experience with scientific research and comfort engaging with technical language
- Experience communicating to a donor audience is highly preferred
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Experience sharing communications expertise internally and supporting other staff members with communications efforts
- Must be comfortable working under pressure and have the ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills are crucial
- Experience in working to serve a broad range of clients and stakeholders
- Experience communicating about energy efficiency, energy policy, climate and energy, technology, innovation, international development, clean energy access
- A drive to learn and grow on the job
Compensation and Location
CLASP offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and includes a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options after a certain period of employment. This position will be based in the organization's India office. Occasional travel, as well as evening or weekend hours, may be required. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must click "Apply to this Job" to submit a resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. The writing sample should demonstrate how you can turn technical information into engaging copy and be no more than two pages. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.
Related job openings
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our ... see more
About the Organization CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every ... see more