About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. From advancing the off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs.
Communications Associate, Energy Efficiency Policy
CLASP is seeking creative, mature, poised, and detail-oriented professionals to support the communications efforts of our Policy & Analysis Team, helping advance energy efficiency policy worldwide.
The successful candidates will have the skills to convey information through writing, graphics, and visual storytelling, and know how to turn complex ideas into impactful and concise narratives. Also crucial to success is a proven ability to engage with scientific and technical information and to effectively communicate this information with a variety of stakeholders. They will be also responsible for maintaining and improving communications infrastructure (e.g., websites) and supporting research, programmatic and/or organizational outreach, communications, fundraising, donor management, and reporting. They will also be responsible for some critical administrative tasks in support of the communications program, including management of the editorial process, sub-contracts, and specific areas of the CLASP website.
CLASP is a fast-paced, international, and highly-collegial work environment. The successful candidates will understand and move between the small details and the big picture with skill, adapt to evolving priorities, and bring well-honed listening and interpersonal skills.
Members of CLASP’s Communications Team will contribute their skills to a number of key projects. Examples of work products include (but are not limited to):
- Communicating Research: Over the next three years, CLASP will produce a significant body of market, technical, and policy research. The successful candidates will support our research team in packaging and messaging their reports for specific audiences through newsletters, website stories or blogs, and presentations. Experience facilitating a complicated, matrixed editorial process a plus.
- Proposal Development and Donor Reporting: At CLASP, we fundraise so that we can lead a dynamic research agenda to support our cutting-edge work, ensuring that our programs have meaningful impact. We are committed to and believe in the work that we are doing, so we fundraise a lot, and everyone is involved. These positions will have an important role to play in helping us to do this more effectively.
- Stories and Case Studies: From coming up with new ways to monitor the energy use of individual appliances to launching clean cookstove projects in Uganda, CLASP is working on cutting edge projects, and we want people to know about it. Our teams require support with turning technical information into compelling stories through articles and case studies for a variety of audiences, including the CLASP Board, donors, international agencies, philanthropy, members of industry, policymakers, and partner organizations.
- Vendor Management: We collaborate often with graphic designers, copy editors, photo editors, other communications and fundraising consultants, policymakers, and CLASP’s program teams to ensure quality, accurate, and timely knowledge exchange.
- Sector Communications: CLASP facilitates sector communications as part of its core work. We tell people about what we do through newsletters, presentations, and other written correspondence.
- Digital Media Management and Engagement: On behalf of our partners and donors, CLASP manages 5 unique web platforms and related social media accounts. These positions will help us stay organized and strategic across web platforms, leveraging key content and messages and avoiding duplication.
The Ideal Candidate
- 3-5 years’ experience; previous communications and design experience and/or a relevant tertiary qualification
- Bachelor’s degree (relevant field preferred)
- Strong creative design and analytical skills
- Excellent written communication skills; proven ability to take complex, technical ideas and turn them into compelling stories in a variety of formats (e.g., web, print publications, briefing papers, digital media, and social media); experience writing funding proposals ideal
- Professional experience in business development and/or program administration; experience in the energy efficiency, renewable energy, energy management or analogous sectors preferred; familiarity with technical, economic, market and/or or policy analysis of these sectors and/or qualitative research methods is ideal
- Confident, adaptable, and polished verbal communication skills; ability to connect with and influence people in a diverse, international work environment
- Ability to travel in both developed and developing countries; international experience preferred; bilingual or multilingual a plus, with particular preference for Spanish, French, Portuguese, or Chinese
- Proven experience in coordinating logistics and planning events
- Strong work ethic, ability to take initiative, and attention to detail; a drive to learn and grow on the job
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time under deadline and with minimal supervision
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines
- Intellectual agility and a commitment to professional development
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Word; experience with HTML and CSS, a plus
Compensation and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition to salary, CLASP offers competitive benefits, including health insurance, unlimited leave, holidays, retirement plan, and a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options after a certain period of employment.
These positions are full-time and based in the organization's Washington, D.C. office. Occasional travel (domestic and international), as well as evening or weekend hours, may be required.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for this position, interested candidates click "Apply to this Job" to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. Please also email a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org The writing sample should demonstrate how you can turn technical information into engaging copy and be no more than two pages. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. These positions will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.
Related job openings
About the Organization CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every ... see more