CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, lowest resource-intensive products possible. CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since its inception in 1999. We envision a world in which appliances are life-changing, low-impact, and environmentally responsible. Learn more about our programs.
We’re mission-driven, impacts-focused, and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, and collaboration. We are headquartered in Washington, D.C. and have a growing office in Kenya (addressing sub-Saharan Africa more broadly), a long-standing team in India and a just launched presence in Indonesia. See our Team Page to learn more about our organization.
Chief Officer / Senior Director
CLASP seeks a Chief Officer / Senior Director to lead its Market Development programs for appliances, in on-, off-, and weak-grid contexts. The principle area of focus will be CLASP’s clean energy access portfolio, which aims to accelerate the deployment of high quality, energy-efficient products in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and beyond. CLASP’s energy access portfolio includes the Efficiency for Access Coalition, the Low Energy Inclusive Appliances Program, the Global LEAP Awards, and Lighting Global Quality Assurance, among other initiatives. A secondary focus will be expanding CLASP’s market development work to on- and weak-grid contexts.
The Chief Officer / Senior Director will be responsible for leading CLASP’s growing Market Development team based in Washington, DC, India, and – in collaboration with CLASP’s East Africa Director – Nairobi. They will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, Kenya, India, Europe, and elsewhere, along with our wide network of international partners and program stakeholders. They will develop and nurture partnerships with stakeholders around the world, including funders, program implementers, appliance manufacturers, distributors, users, and other NGOs. They will contribute to overall organizational direction and strategy, and in particular lead the strategic direction of CLASP’s energy access portfolio and broader suite of market development initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have an extraordinary capacity for program strategy, development, execution and administration, as well as leading a high performing team, deep expertise on energy efficiency, clean energy markets and on- and off- grid policy dynamics, world class collaboration and communication skills, a commitment to impacts and results, entrepreneurialism, and a sense of humor.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Evolve our strategy: Guide the continued evolution of CLASP’s market development portfolio by identifying new areas to deliver impact, redefining strategies for engagement.
- Lead and grow a high-performing team: Supervise and enable the continued growth of a dynamic team of professional staff, facilitate ongoing training and professional development, and identify future staffing and recruiting needs. Work with and through high-performing managers to facilitate continued success.
- Develop programs and guide implementation: Working through the team, facilitate the delivery of impact-oriented programs and institutional presence around the world. Oversee program budget and staffing plans. Guide and review project terms of reference, M&E metrics, and work plans.
- Establish and nurture partnerships: Build support among key stakeholders and forge new, impact-focused partnerships, including with sector industry leaders, trade associations, government decision makers, donor organizations, etc.
- Track impacts and progress: Contribute to the ongoing development of program impact metrics. Monitor and evaluate the progress of project activities, identify opportunities for improvement, and communicate about progress
- Enhance CLASP’s global brand: CLASP’s clean energy access programs and initiatives have evolved significantly over the past 3 years. Likewise, our global brand is on the cusp of transformation. Provide strategic oversight to and identify opportunities drive brand awareness, partnerships, and impacts.
- Expand advisory services for on-grid appliance market development: Working closely with CLASP colleagues around the world, build a presence for CLASP’s market development portfolio as a complement to our ongoing policy support efforts.
- Communicate: Work with CLASP’s communications team to design and disseminate compelling stories of program success, research outcomes, lessons learned, etc. Work with colleagues around the world to share plans and strategies. Be a leading strategic voice within and outside of the organization, and bolster CLASP brand equity and reputation through both internal and external engagements, e.g. speaking engagements, papers, etc.
- Identify Fundraising Prospects & Guide Renewal Funding: All levels of the CLASP team contribute to fundraising and business development, in the context of an entrepreneurial and innovative organizational culture with strong identification with brand values. Lead business development efforts for the MD&I / clean energy access efforts, and support staff at all levels with their efforts. Act as a primary interface with clients and other external partners.
- Serve as a core contributor of the senior leadership team: Partner with the CEO and other organization leaders on key conversations and decisions with all-organization relevance, and serve as an appropriate ambassador across the organization for leadership decisions and decision-making.
- Entrepreneurial approach to design, development, and execution of long-term initiatives, and a proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving.
- 15+ years of experience in international program implementation; business- and partnership-development experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required. Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, development, economics, environmental science) preferred.
- Experience in the off-grid clean energy or related energy sectors required particularly in Africa and India; energy or technology policy experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funding for program development and implementation.
- Persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written; exceptional written and spoken English a must.
- Demonstrated experience developing high-impact partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience in growing and developing team members.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills.
Compensation and Location
CLASP provides its employees with a highly competitive salary that is benchmarked annually with other similar non-profit organizations. This position is full-time and based in Washington, DC. Candidates must be able to demonstrate legal employment status in the United States. Working with colleagues across global time zones should be expected. Frequent travel to East Africa, India, and other global destinations will be required. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must click "Apply for this Job" to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.