CEA Consulting is a boutique environmental consultancy based in San Francisco, CA. For more than 35 years, CEA has helped transform markets, business practices, public policies, nonprofit organizations, and philanthropic strategies to achieve positive outcomes for the environment. Our work is guided by a deep knowledge of the scientific, financial/economic, and sociopolitical underpinnings of our most pressing environmental problems.
CEA’s Philanthropic Practice Area is a growing, tight-knit team of fifteen consultants which supports environmental foundations and nonprofits, as well as sustainability-oriented businesses. We pride ourselves on being client oriented, insightful, and responsive. The large majority of CEA’s work is for return clients, whom we’ve had the pleasure to work with for many years. Our work ranges across a variety of environmental topics including marine conservation, climate change, energy policy, sustainable agriculture, land use and conservation, freshwater management, transportation, wildlife protection, and urban sustainability. While the geographic nature of our projects varies, most of our work is global or international in scope. With respect to our services, our main functions include:
- Program Design and Strategy Development
- Programmatic Research, Analysis, and Modeling
- Evaluation and Learning
- Facilitation, Collaboration, and Grantee Convening
- Project Incubation, Organizational Development, and Staffing Support
For a more in-depth description of our services and philosophy, please see our website: www.ceaconsulting.com.
CEA is looking for an Associate to provide support to the firm’s Philanthropic Services Practice Area. The successful applicant will be responsible for the day-to-day management of complex consulting engagements for clients, including large environmentally-focused foundations, NGOs, and bilateral and multilateral agencies.
The work environment is collaborative, intensive, and likely to require travel. The position requires intellectual rigor, excellent interpersonal skills, independence, attention to detail, and a passion for environmental issues. Associates at CEA have the opportunity to interact with leaders in the environmental conservation and sustainability field.
This position will have a lead role in technical analyses that the group conducts on behalf of its clients, including excel-based modeling, analysis of large data sets, basic statistical modeling, and data visualization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the execution of projects in collaboration with senior staff.
- Support project design and work planning.
- Formulate and test hypotheses via research, expert interviews, and data analyses.
- Liaise and communicate with clients.
- Develop and communicate recommendations via clear and effective deliverables (e.g., reports, presentations, briefs).
- Ensure quality control of outgoing work products and correspondence.
- Work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision and proactively engage senior staff.
Successful applicants will have most of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- At least three to five years of experience as an associate, or related position, with a management consultancy, investment bank, foundation, think tank, or non-profit
- Proficiency in Excel and at least one other analytical software
- Experience managing analytically complex projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work, multitask, and prioritize under pressure and uncertainty
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with senior management and external stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with discretion, and interact with a diverse array of people with diplomacy and enthusiasm
- An insightful, curious, pragmatic, and strategic mind
- A deep commitment to the conservation-related mission of CEA
- A sense of humor
Additional qualifications are a plus:
- Master’s degree, MBA, or more extensive work experience
- Experience in climate change, ocean conservation, fisheries reform, land preservation, sustainable agriculture, forestry, and/or air quality
- Proficiency in R, STATA, GIS, Tableau and/or other modeling or data visualization software programs
- Foreign language
Compensation and Benefits
The position will be located in San Francisco, California. CEA offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements:
Inquiries received via phone call or direct email will not be eligible for review.
CEA is an equal opportunity employer.