Point Reyes National Seashore Association (PRNSA)
Point Reyes National Seashore Association (PRNSA) is the primary nonprofit partner of the National Park Service at Point Reyes. We work in partnership with the National Park Service to preserve and maintain wildlife habitats, trails and historic sites in this beautiful and unique park. Our year-round environmental education programs help children and adults deepen their understanding of nature and inspire the next generation of park stewards. PRNSA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget of 2.3M, 16 to 40 plus employees of various classifications each year, government (National Park Service) contracts/task agreements, multiple private grants and funding sources, various programs and a sales outlet.
PRNSA is seeking a versatile full charge Accounting Manager with advanced accounting/bookkeeping skills and experience, for an 80% (4 day) to full-time staff position. All work is done on site.
The successful candidate will be experienced in managing and performing multiple accounting activities and duties, including developing, implementing and maintaining accounting and bookkeeping systems, policies and procedures; preparation of accounting schedules, reports and financial statements; maintenance and analysis of accounting records; preparation of journal entries and reconciliation of ledger accounts; oversight and activities related to grant and contracts accounting administration; accounts payable and accounts receivable; supervising payroll and benefits; and ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and organization's policies, procedures and contracts. Manages monthly closings. The Accountant may also participate in the development and implementation of financial systems, including selection and implementation of fund accounting software.
The Accountant is the primary finance/accounting position at PRNSA. The role is hands on, requiring the ability and interest to perform a full continuum of day-to-day management and accounting duties. The Accountant reports to the Executive Director. The position supervises the Office Coordinator, who provides approximately 20 hours per week of Accounting, Payroll and Benefit assistant/clerk level support. The Accountant may also serve as a primarily liaison with external finance, payroll and benefits vendors as assigned by the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will have five or more years of progressively responsible accounting experience, including supervisory oversight of various basic bookkeeping through complex accounting functions and duties. Experience in a nonprofit organization and with accounting procedures related to contract and grants administration is highly preferred. Accounting related to sales/retail is also preferred.
PRNSA will be transitioning accounting and most financial management functions from an outsourced model to an internal accounting and management system. Success working with external vendor(s), payroll, benefits and others, is highly preferred.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Administer accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, payroll, benefits and retirement transactions, time and expense.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Maintain and issue monthly and quarterly financial statements.
- Lead the preparation of the annual audits.
- Resolve issues resulting from financial audits.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in support of organization forecasting.
- Manage the cash flow position of the accounts.
- Manage accounting-related requirements of grant awards and contracts.
- Manage all aspects of payroll, benefits and retirement.
- Generate internal and compliance reports including federal, state, grant and authorizer reports.
- Provide supervision and guidance of bookkeeping assistant (Office Coordinator).
Process Improvement and Development:
- Improve processes in accounting, AP, AR and in payroll.
- Function as liaison and coordinate work with vendors, auditors and government agencies.
- Develop streamlined purchasing, payroll systems and on-going expense tracking.
- Prepare reports for the Executive Director that analyze budget performance, variance and trends to ensure continuous flow of information for financial transparency.
- Develop a financial dashboard to track key financial metrics and report results regularly.
- Support and monitor grant budgets and assist with other fundraising activities as necessary.
Accounting and Planning:
- Work with Executive Director to oversee cash forecasting and strategy.
- Prepare monthly organization-wide financial statements, including statement of activities, the statement of financial position, budget versus actual variance reports and accompanying narratives for the board and as required.
- Provide financial data, cost analysis, and recommendations for all new and current programs.
General Financial Compliance:
- Maintains compliance with governmental regulations and GAAP.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting and filing requirements.
- Assist the Executive Director on risk management issues, liability, rates, coverage and claims.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Deep commitment to PRNSA’s mission.
- Experienced professional, analytical, detail-oriented and completely versed in accounting and financial controls and planning, with ability to perform day-to-day financial administration as well as senior level oversight and long-range planning.
- Bachelor's degree required in accounting, finance, or a closely related major.
- Minimum 5+ years of professional level accounting experience.
- Experience in a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, preferred.
- Experience with accounting and payroll systems, such as Quickbooks and Fund EZ, including reporting, is essential. Implementation and integrating technologies, preferred.
- Advanced working knowledge of Quickbooks. Advanced reporting skills.
- High level of Excel proficiency essential, including complex formula skills.
- Experience with implementation and integrating technologies, preferred.
- Strong accounting, analytical and reporting skills.
- Experience with grants financial administration.
- Skilled communicator, with experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, staff and partners.
- Self-directed, responsible and accountable. Successfully completes assignments or tasks; can be counted on to deliver consistent and high-quality results. Focuses on desired outcomes and how best to achieve them.
- Takes Initiative. Anticipates problems and proactively addresses issues.
- Friendly and cooperative work style, willing to roll up the sleeves and dig in, with a ‘no job too large or too small’ attitude. Committed to work hard to get the job done.
- This is a largely sedentary role; however, standing for periods is required.
- Requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, bend, turn, and lift office products or supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
Office is located in a unique, traditional building at a more rural location near the Point Reyes National Seashore Headquarters in Point Reyes California. Regular work hours - Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. The position is on-site, not remote.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation is commensurate with experience, please be sure to submit your salary expectations. Position range set at 80,000 – 85,000 FTE. (64,000 - 68,000 / 80% - 4 days)
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, a 403(b)-retirement savings plan and vacation, sick, and holiday allocation.
Please submit cover letter and resume. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include in cover letter: Experience that best aligns with position requirements and qualifications, including your roles within the non-profit sector. Please include why PRNSA and this position is of particular interest to you.
PRNSA is an equal opportunity employer.
Related job openings
CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, ... see more