Environmental Defense Fund
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. EDF is a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF is committed to including all segments of society in developing durable solutions to environmental challenges and to ensuring diversity among staff, board, and supporters. Having a diverse team broadens our perspective and strengthens their work, and we are dedicated to developing and maintaining a workforce that reflects the diversity of the constituencies we serve.
Global Strategy Program
For the last 50 years, EDF has been protecting and preserving the systems upon which all life depends. Our dedication to practical solutions grounded in science and economics and our investments in deep partnerships have enabled us to have a transformational impact in the U.S. and beyond.
For over two decades, EDF has been operating outside the United States, and today we have a significant presence in China, Mexico and Europe along with strategic efforts in many other countries. Our program strategies are built on creating change around the world, and our science, economics and business teams have built networks that cross borders.
The focus of the Global Strategy team is to ensure that EDF’s expansion geographically is 1) aligned with EDF’s organizational strategic plan, that it is 2) well positioned to expand our effectiveness, influence, and impact in places beyond the United States, and 3) effectively supported across all of EDF’s enterprise functions.
For more information, please visit www.edf.org
Director, Global Strategy Implementation
The Director, Global Strategy Implementation is the hub role within a vibrant and entrepreneurial system of international projects and entities. The Director will manage the execution of EDF’s global strategies to facilitate and support its commitment to solving environmental problems based on sound science, strategic partnerships, and market-based solutions. Working collaboratively with staff across EDF’s many geographies, the Director will be responsible for ensuring alignment and coordination of internal processes and communications, finding and building synergies, and play an integral role in fundraising activities that flow through Global Programs. The Director will serve as trusted support and advisor for the Executive Director, the heads of the European and Chinese entities and the program leads in the various international locations where EDF has project work underway.
The position requires a facilitative leader who understands how to cultivate strong internal communication and collaboration among international teams within the framework of a large, complex organization. S/he should have a working knowledge of EDF’s focal issues (climate, oceans, ecosystems, and health) and an understanding of the broader geo-political context in which the programs operate (currently including US, China, European Union, Mexico, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and Japan). It is essential that the successful candidate be resourceful, resilient, and creative, and has experience in managing high-level relationships and sensitive and confidential information. This position will report to EDF’s Executive Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters cooperation, communication, collaboration, teamwork, trust, and embraces diversity across EDF’s geographies.
- Identify and implement tools, processes, and trainings to ensure the programs and geographies receive support, identify and address any internal barriers, and accomplish their strategic goals.
- Identify points of potential synergies in the global work and facilitate strong communication, sharing of information, and conflict resolution.
- Understand EDF’s emerging plan and structure for Global Strategy Program governance within the geo-political context and identify issues, constraints, and opportunities for strengthening of EDF’s global presence.
- Provide feedback and strategic advice to staff and help drive forward work critical to the portfolio of the central Global Strategy Program
- Support and help build regional staff leadership and the development of successful global staff onboarding and retention programs.
- Track and coordinate Global Strategy Program progress, producing and/or contributing to regular communication updates and briefings as needed; assist in developing best practices for global reporting across programs.
- Support and help build expanded global presence for EDF’s cross-cutting functions (i.e. science, economics, political affairs, EDF+Business, and marketing and communications).
- Collaborate with development staff to prioritize and coordinate fundraising activities.
- Liaise with EDF’s Director of Global Operations to ensure that all EDF international staff and offices are supported by effective IT, Finance, Legal, HR, and Facilities functions.
- Supervise the Business Manager, Global Strategy and other Global Strategy team staff members across all geographies.
- As needed, represent EDF at relevant, external meetings to inform stakeholders of programmatic progress and convey EDF’s subject matter expertise.
Skills & Experience
- 10+ years of related work experience; international, cross-cultural experience required
- Advanced degree in a relevant field (e.g., environmental science/policy, economics, business, etc.)
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with culturally diverse individuals, as well as across different organization levels
- Proven ability to build trusted relationships, influence cross-functionality, and drive execution toward common goals
- Team-building skills and a collaborative leadership style with the ability to empower and inspire
- Good understanding of the geo-political landscape relative to EDF’s focus geographies and issue areas
- Comfort and flexibility with working across multiple time zones from a variety of locations and willingness to be available as needed to colleagues in multiple time zones
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for senior executive audiences
- Ability to serve as a creative and innovative thought partner willing to challenge the status quo and propose new ideas and opportunities
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- Proven ability to work both independently and lead a team in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment
- Exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
- Proficiency in the use of standard business software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English required; additional fluency in a language of a key EDF geography preferred
- Willingness and ability to engage in regular travel (50% minimum) to both domestic and international destinations
- Commitment to and passion for EDF’s mission, vision, and values
Compensation and Location
EDF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. New York, NY, Washington, DC, or San Francisco, CA are the preferred locations for this position. Other locations (particularly international) may be considered.
CEA Recruiting is assisting EDF with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must click "Apply to this job" to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.
Related job openings
ClimateWorks Foundation (CWF) is a global non-governmental organization that partners with leading funders to be more strategic, efficient, and ... see more