About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. From advancing the off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs.
CLASP is seeking an energetic, focused, and driven communications professional to support a variety of projects aimed at sharing the valuable work being carried out by CLASP staff. The Coordinator will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be able to work with a variety of stakeholders, know how to turn complex ideas into engaging stories, and be committed to the ideals of CLASP.
CLASP is a fast-paced, international, and highly-collegial work environment. We are looking for someone who is eager to be part of a dynamic and collaborative team. The successful candidate will learn quickly on the job and be able to contribute to enhancing the overall communications function of the organization. This is an ideal position for someone wanting to kickstart their career in communications while working for an organization focused on making the world a better place.
The Coordinator, Communications will contribute their skills to a number of key projects. These might include the following:
- Communicating Research: Over the next two years, CLASP will produce a significant body of market, technical, and policy research. The successful candidate will support our team with the writing style, tone, and presentation of the reports but also in telling our key audiences about the research through a wide range of channels. This could include repurposing the content for social media, presentations, our website, media releases, or articles in specialist magazines.
- Proposal Development and Donor Reporting: At CLASP, we fundraise so that we can lead a dynamic research agenda to support our cutting-edge work, ensuring that our programs have meaningful impact. We are committed to and believe in the work that we are doing, so we fundraise a lot, and everyone is involved. The Coordinator will have an important role to play in helping us to do this more effectively. The successful candidate will have a strong attention to detail to help us produce quality reports.
- Stories and Case Studies: From coming up with new ways to monitor the energy use of individual appliances to launching clean cookstove projects in Uganda, CLASP is working on cutting edge projects, and we want people to know about it. Our teams require support with turning technical information into compelling stories through articles and case studies for a variety of audiences, including the CLASP Board, donors, international agencies, policymakers, and partner organizations.
- Natural Collaborator: The successful candidate must be able to develop strong relationships with a wide variety of professionals. We collaborate often with graphic designers, copy editors, photo editors, other communications and fundraising consultants, policymakers, and CLASP’s program teams to ensure quality, accurate, and timely knowledge exchange. The Coordinator will contribute to our productive partnerships both inside and outside of the organization.
- Business-to-Business Communications: CLASP facilitates business-to-business communications as part of its core work. We tell people about what we do through newsletters, presentations, and other written correspondence. The successful candidate will evaluate materials to ensure quality and accuracy and support communications with a range of international stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 1-2 years’ previous communications experience and/or a relevant tertiary qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Must be comfortable working under pressure and have the ability to multi-task
- Proven ability in being able to take complex ideas and turn them into compelling stories
- Experience writing in a variety of formats — web, print publications, briefing papers, digital media, and social media all a plus.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills are crucial
- Proven experience in coordinating logistics and planning events
- Experience in working to serve a broad range of clients and stakeholders
- Some experience in working on funding proposals would be an asset, although this is not mandatory
- Experience in non-profit, clean energy access, science or academic field — preferred but not essential
- A drive to learn and grow on the job is something we look for in all our staff
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel are essential
Compensation and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience. CLASP offers competitive benefits, including a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options after a certain period of employment. This position is full-time and based in the organization's Washington, D.C. office. Occasional travel, as well as evening or weekend hours, may be required. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must click "Apply for this job" to submit a resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. The writing sample should demonstrate how you can turn technical information into engaging copy and be no more than two pages. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.
Related job openings
CEA’s Regulatory and Government Affairs Group was established to help clients develop, negotiate, and implement regulatory compliance ... see more
The Klamath River Renewal Corporation (KRRC) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation created via a unique partnership between state, federal, and ... see more